Friday, June 12, 2009

Claire




Look at those tiny feet and that tiny casket, I know she didn't even take up half of it. On June 4th I went in for a Doppler. I hadn't felt the baby move in a few days, plus I was feeling off. Chills, night sweats, etc. They couldn't find a heartbeat with the Doppler and honestly I wasn't worried, I thought the baby must be low and they just can't get to it. We went downstairs for an ultrasound and the nurses were having a hard time finding what they were looking for. So the doctor came down and when he found the baby, there was no heartbeat. Talk about getting that punched in the stomach feeling. So we went home and packed up some things for us and the kids and took Logan and Camille to Grandma Black's. Madelyn and Abby were still in Wyoming. When we got to the hospital they started me with some medicine that they crushed up and put in my cervix, which was awesome. They said it would take 2 or 3 doses of that medicine before it would work and they could give it to me every 4 hours. It never worked. I was laboring for 30 hours before they finally gave me something else. This particular medicine they don't like to use because it causes GI upset, big time. So I had two doses of that, and luckily I didn't get any GI upset. So after that medicine for 10 hours I was finally ready to push. Once the baby came out the doctor new immediately what had happened. The cord was around her neck 3 times and knotted. He said he'd never seen a cord that tight. He figures she swam around and got tangled and then grew. He said she's probably been gone only 4 days or so, which is what I thought. I was absolutely shocked that it was a girl. I have been guessing boy all along, but most of you know that I've guessed boy for all my kids and how many boys do I have. Afterwards, I had to have a D&C because the placenta wouldn't come out. Luckily I was asleep for that. We had some time to hold her, and a photographer took some pictures of her. She was 9 ounces and 9 inches. We laid Claire to rest on Tuesday with Mike's grandpa Clair Black. 40 hours of labor was tough, but I think it helped us to prepare. We aren't worried about why it happened, we know why. We will miss her and this has been a hard struggle for us, but we know where she is and who she is with and we are grateful for the Plan of Salvation. She is one kid whose salvation we don't have to worry about. Thank you all for your prayers and love and support and for the flowers. We wouldn't be able to get through this without all of you and your love.

13 comments:

Mateo said...

That's just the saddest thing I have ever heard. I am so sorry for your loss. Thank heavens for the gospel.

danette said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I too am going through something very similar at the moment.

I had a D&C yesterday. My baby made it to about 13 weeks gestation. I had a miscarriage 5 years ago at 15 weeks and I had the baby then also had to have a D&C because my placenta would not come out.

I am really sorry your heart is broken too.

The Jones :) said...

Jana...I'm so sorry to hear your story and read of your loss. I had heard about it and my heart sank for you...I've been thinking about you guys daily from the time I heard and hoping you're doing alright. Those are precious little feet, and I'm so glad you guys had the chance to hold her and make some memories with her. Thank goodness for our knowledge and the fact that we can be with our families forever. You are an amazing person and I'm grateful for the relationship we have. Your family is still in my thoughts and prayers and I hope you know I'm here if you need to talk or cry or laugh or anything.
Love ya

Becky said...

Jana, I'm so sorry for your loss. What a precious picture, I'm so glad someone was able to take it for you.

((((hugs))))

Leslie said...

Jana,
I am so sorry for your loss. What a hard trial to face but you sound strong (even if you don't feel that way). Know that I am praying for you and your family!
Lots of love

~~heather said...

Dear sweet Jana & Mike - you both are in our prayers and thoughts. These pictures are just precious! Thankyou for sharing your joy in Claire... and your heartache in this life. You are both very loved! (((HUGS)) If you need anything...please let us know!
Heather & Jestin

MySupplementHub.com said...

Jana, thank you for sharing your story. I have been so worried about you since I heard. My heart truely aches for your loss. You are such a strong woman. Please let me know if there is anything we can do. Mardi

Jeff and Lacy said...

I'm so sorry for you and your family.

The Springers said...

You family is in our prayers. Let us know if you guys need anything.

Kayla Pearson said...

So sorry about for your loss. You and your family have been in our thoughts and prayers. We love you!

Dezra Marshall said...

Jana, I am so sorry for your loss. Miscarriages are not fun. if you need any thing, or need some one to talk to, call any time.

Shel and Aaron said...

The picture of her little feet is just darling. Life really is such a miracle. It really is so amazing to know you have a little angel in heaven waiting for you. We were very sorry to hear.

Love,
Michelle & Aaron

Krista Dearden said...

I don't know where I have been the last few months but I just learned of your loss on facebook. You are in our prayers. I am so grateful for the gospel and the temple. I am glad you were able to have some time with your precious Claire.